The Open has arrived and in this weeks episode:
John Deer Classic Recap:
- Michael Kim roasts the competition
- Canadians litter the leaderboard
- Veej with the Senior victory
- John Daly 2.0
- Tony Romo finally wins a title
Pro Tip – Simple method for speeding up your pace of play
British Open Preview!
- CarNasty looks to punish the Worlds Best
- Tiger with a driving iron in the bag
- European myth?
In the latest episode of the Drive The Green Podcast:
Quicken Loans Recap
- Frank Molinari goes LOW on Sunday
- Tiger and the Mallet… a perfect match?
- Jamie Lovemark with his best MattyB impression
Pro Tip – Michael Midgette – Putting Alignment
Ultimate Foursome – Tennis
- Its Wimbledon so the boys discuss their Ultimate Tennis Foursome
- MattyB back in the winners circle
- The Military Tribute at Greenbrier Picks
Do you have enough variety in your short game? Variety meaning the ability to choose almost any shot you can imagine and pull it off with confidence. Here are a few tips on how to shave strokes around the greens. Follow these steps and you’ll notice a drop in your scores!
- If you don’t have a good chance of getting it close, just make sure you get the ball on the putting surface!
- The last thing you want is to try a risky shot, end up short, or missing the green, forcing yourself to get up and down on the next attempt to save bogey.
- Play the high percentage shot. Would you rather have a six to ten footer for par save, or try a shot you haven’t practiced and risk having to hit another chip from the rough or another bunker shot.
- If you have an opportunity to putt the ball, PUTT IT!
- Your worst putt will always be better than your worst chip. This goes back to rule #1, you are rarely ever going to miss the green if you have an opportunity to putt from off of the green.
- Does this mean use the putter in the rough? If you don’t have confidence in your chipping, and there isn’t a substantial amount of rough to negotiate, then YES, give your putter a try.
- Technique: Feet close together, ball a little further back in your stance, and instead of making a normal putting stroke, hit down slightly on the ball to pop it up and get it rolling.
- If there is something you have to get the ball over to get it on the green, make that your number 1 focus.
- Let’s say you have a lot of rough to carry, or a deep/long bunker. Focus on a landing spot on the green and ELIMINATE THE WORDS, “I don’t want to leave this short.” Rather, use the phrase, “I want my ball to land there, so I have a putt at it.”
- Pick a specific landing spot that will give you an opportunity at a par save on the green, even if it is a fifteen to twenty footer. That’s better than another tough chip or another bunker shot.
Use these three rules as best and as often as you can to take the big numbers out of play and eliminate the doubles and the triples after being next to the green in regulation.
Micheal Midgette, PGA
Alignment is one of the most overlooked aspects of the putting setup, especially on the greens. When thinking of alignment, most golfers think of their feet. But if the shoulders and putter face are not square to the target, the chances of holing the putt are drastically reduced.
To help aid in proper alignment, try this easy practice drill:
- Purchase a flat, metal meter (yard) stick with no grooves.
- Find a straight, flat putt or even a flat surface at home!
- Place the stick on the line you wish to start the ball on.
- Place the ball on the yard stick and squarely set up your line.
- Hit the putt with the objective of keeping the ball on the stick until it rolls off the far end.
This drill will get you to pay more attention to you starting line rather than thinking about the hole (which can cause anxiety and a guided stroke, leading to miss-hits / missed putts).
In this weeks episode of the Drive The Green Golf Podcast:
Travelers Championship Recap
- Bubba wins again. Player of the Year?
- Paul Casey…..Ya blew it!
- Smylie. Dead. Last
Pro Tip – Mike Midgette – Putting – Flip a Coin
Feature – Would You Rather?
- The DTG boys toss around a few hypotheticals
- Bronel picks up his 4th win in 5 weeks.
- Quicken Loans – Tiger with the mallet putter
Who is the best golfer in the world right now? Some will say Dustin Johnson, he’s the #1 ranked player in the world. But that is just a ranking. If I was asked this question, I would have a very difficult time answering. And it may simply depend on who I think is playing better on the day I was asked. That’s how close it is these days.
Flashback 10 years to June 2008, who is the best player in the world? Well Tiger Woods just beat Rocco Mediate in a playoff to win the US Open, his 14th major championship. The answer was easy, it’s Tiger.
So what is better for the overall state of golf, the 2018 parity or the 2008 dominance?
When Tiger Woods won 14 majors in an 11-year span from 1997-2008, the golf world was in awe. He won the 2000 U.S. Open by 15 shots at Pebble Beach. He had 38 Top 10’s in Majors including 24 Top 3’s. There was no doubt in anyone’s mind who the best golfer in the world was and fans were more than ok with that. He WAS golf. His brand completely took over and revolutionized the game, attracting fans for all backgrounds sports or otherwise. Then personal matters, injuries, and long layoffs from the game happened. Golf ratings were down, the “Tiger Effect” was a real thing and revenues were taking a hit.
Flash back to April 2016 when we first met the Bro Squad. Rickie Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, and Smylie Kaufman. Four young, very talented golfers jet setting to the Bahamas for Spring Break. Every guy from 18-45 years old was drooling in envy of #sb2k16.
Then these four party boys had to go and do it again for #sb2k17. It seemed as though nothing could stop these maniacs. They had the friendship, the money, and the skills.
Flash forward to June 2018. Justin Thomas has two wins this season and a short stint as World Number 1. Jordan Spieth is the defending Open Champion and was 3rd at the 2018 Masters. Rickie Fowler was 2nd at the same 2018 Masters and is 13th in Official Money Earnings this season……..
Phil’s US Open Antics Prove Why He Is The GLOAT
When someone says left-handed golfer, who is the first player you think of? If you didn’t answer Phil Mickelson, then you are probably lying. Ok, maybe a bit harsh. However, the numbers are there, the wins are there, the personality is there. We are witnessing history every time this man steps foot on the golf course. Yes folks, we are witnessing the GLOAT (Greatest Lefty Of All Time).
If you are reading this article, there is a pretty good chance you caught a glimpse of what ol’ Lefty got up to this past weekend. Coming in as one of the Vegas favourites to win the tournament, Phil came out with a disappointing 77 on Thursday. Uh oh, a missed cut perhaps. Not so fast, Phil shoots 69 Friday and gets to play the weekend. Paired with Beef Johnston on Saturday, Phil the thrill was all set for his 48th birthday round. Unfortunately for him, the conditions at Shinnecock Hills resembled those of a Wal-Mart parking lot more than a golf course. The “greens” were some sort of weird brown concrete and the pin placements were tougher than that friggin “ant-hill” hole at the local mini-golf course.
Phil was 4 over and looking at a downhill 18 footer for bogey on the 13th green. His putt was a bit hefty however and it was about to go flying down the hill and off the green into an impossible lie. But the GLOAT said “not today, not on my birthday” and hit the still-moving ball back towards the hole. For those new to golf, this is an automatic 2 stroke penalty. Phil would go on to make a 10 and laugh about it with Beef walking off the green. This wasn’t as cool as Roy McAvoy’s 12 at the US Open but it was still a pretty neat 10.
GOOD For Golf
The USGA decided not to DQ him despite his purposeful breaking of the rules. But really, who cares? So what if he hit a moving ball…we’ve all done it. This is one of the top 10 players in golf history (a discussion for another day perhaps), him doing stuff like this is GOOD for golf. John Daly is GOOD for golf. Happy Gilmore is GOOD for golf. Ok you get the point. After his 81 Saturday, Phil came out Sunday and shot 69 and had a blast doing it. There was a fan who was wearing a Donald Duck hat and following Phil around (why wouldn’t you). There are a lot of guys on Tour with no personality (I won’t name names) who would probably think the hat was stupid. Not Phil. Every time he saw this fan, he gave the hat a little rub for luck and had a bunch of fun with it. He’s always having a good time out there; perhaps making some wagers, signing stuff for the kids, laughing with other players etc.
This week on the Drive The Green Podcast
- Bryson and his swing strike gold
- Tiger’s putter fails him once again
Pro Tip – Mike Midgette back yet again – Weekly Wedge Work
Ultimate Foursome – NBA
- Harv settles the GOAT debate on the course
- Bronel takes Jesus
- MattyB with a strange ode to the Toronto Raptors
- Memorial Recap – Bronel on a heater
- Fedex St. Jude. Classic – can BDDB make it 3 in a row?
In this weeks episode:
Fort Worth Invitational Recap:
- Justin Rose (Sans Sunglasses) Lights It Up
- Canadians In Contention
- Kevin Na – Style Is Not A Family Trait
Pro Tip – Mike Midgette – Practice Like You Play
Build A Golfer
- The Boys Draft Out Their Ultimate Golfers
- Bronel Wins The Fort Worth
- Memorial Picks – ALL The Big Names
This week on the Drive The Green Podcast:
PLAYERS Championship Recap
- Webb Runs Away With It
- Tiger. Is. Back.
- The Battle For Second Place
- TPC Sawgrass Does Not Disappoint
Pro Tip – Advice and Discounts From a PGA Professional
- PLAYERS Championship Recap – Harv Evens The Score
- AT&T Byron – Watered. Down. Field.
In this weeks episode, the DTG Boys:
Recap Wells Fargo Championship
- Jason Day Owns the Green Mile
- Brice Garnett Smooth 88
- Who Wore It Better?
- Harv Picks The Winner
Pro Tip – Shout out to Mikey Golf
Players Championship Preview
- Tiger / Phil / Rickie Pairing
- Top 5 Course
- The Island Green
In this weeks episode:
Zurich Classic Recap
- Horschel / Piercy Prevail
- Reed – Last Minute Song Switch
- Hakuna Matata
- Dufner and Perez – Birdies N’ F-Bombs
Drive The Green Boys – Select Walk Up Songs
Ultimate Foursome – Musicians
- MattyB and Da Funky Bunch
- Bronel – Hits the Green
- Harv – THE Song
- Zurich Recap – MattyB wins again
- Wells Fargo Picks – Tiger Back? JT Anyone?
In this weeks episode:
Valero Texas Open Recap
- Andrew Landry gets a win…….and a messy shirt
- Joaquin Niemann with an impressive debut
- Canadians back in the hunt
- Bowditch red hot
Pro Tip – Mike Midgette helps you tune up those Long Irons – Instagram @mikey.golf
Zurich Classic of New Orleans – Walk Up Song Predictions
- and more!
- Valero Recap
- Zurich Picks
RBC Heritage Recap
- Kodaira wins in a playoff.
- Loveable Luke List at it again.
- Poulter runs out of gas.
- Harbour Town – Links Golf for PC throwback course.
Pro Tip – PGA Certified Coach Michael Midgette
Ultimate Foursome – TV Show Hosts
- MattyB – Reality TV FanBoy.
- Harv – The Who’s Who of Daytime TV.
- Bronel – They get better with age.
- RBC Heritage Picks Recap.
- Valero Texas Open Picks.
Stay Tuned for the Special Episode in the next week with our Walk Up Song predictions for the Zurich Classic!
- Brice Garnett (who?) goes wire to wire.
- Corey Conners continues to charge up the Canadian Golf Power Rankings.
- Tony Romo – Should he just stick to broadcasting?
WGC Match Play Recap
- Bubba’s game continuing to trend upward while his style continues to free fall.
- Did JT crack under the pressure of potential World #1 Ranking?
- DJ goes from first to worst.
Ultimate Foursome – Sports Movie Characters
- MattyB goes nostalgic, Bronel picks a guy with one hand, and Harv is off the rails.
Shell Houston Open Picks
- Does Russell Henley have a chance to repeat?
In the latest episode the Boys at DTG discuss:
Bay Hill – Arnold Palmer Invitational Recap
- Rory with the scorching finish! Rounding into form just in time for the Masters
- DeChambeau’s……interesting……golf swing
- Is Rose peaking too early?
- Tiger cant quite finish
Pro Tip – Fine tuning those short irons
Ultimate Foursome – Major League Baseball Stars
In the latest episode of the Drive The Green Podcast we dissuss:
Valspar Championship Recap
- Canadian Corey Conners cant close the deal
- Paul Casey still lethal at age 40
- Kelly Kraft needs new shoes
Pro Tip – We discuss the latest USGA golf rule updates and the laughable lost ball timing
Ultimate Foursome – Television Characters